This recipe for sautéed kale with turkey bacon and granny smith apples is a great additional to your weekly meal prep! It’s clean, light, and features seasonal apples and earthy kale.
Watch the cooking segment on Fox 7’s Good Day Austin and learn how to make this recipe: http://www.fox7austin.com/good-day/sustainable-food-center-healthy-weeknight-cooking
What you’ll need:
- Julienned kale
- Chopped/ diced turkey bacon
- Diced granny smith apples
- Minced garlic
- Diced red bell peppers and onions
- Red pepper flakes
- Veggie Oil
What you’ll do:
- Cook the bacon in a sauté pan.
- Once the bacon is done cooking, transfer it to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Add a bit of veggie oil to the pan and sprinkle in a bit of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Add the medley of diced red peppers and onions to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and sauté them for a bit until they become fragrant.
- Add in the minced garlic and stir until it also becomes fragrant.
- Note: You don’t want the garlic to burn.
- Add in half of the diced granny smith apples.
- Add the bacon back into the pan with the sautéed onions, red peppers, and garlic and stir until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Remove the pan from the heat and fold in the julienned kale.
- Fold in the other half of diced granny smith apples for an added CRUNCH.
- Season with salt and pepper, taste, and enjoy!